Monday, September 24, 2007

Day Seventy-Eight - Good To The Last Drop

Using a Coffee Carafe To Keep My Java Hot

I have been plugging EVERYTHING in my house into my fabulous, geek-o-rific Kill-A-Watt device and am learning all sorts of unexpected lessons. For instance, one of the biggest energy hogs in my house is my Mr. Coffee! When it's just sitting there displaying the time, the thing barely draws any energy -- in fact it doesn't even register a watt. However, when it is brewing or just keeping the hot plate on (which it does for at least two hours each day), it cycles itself on and off at about 900 watts. YIKES!

This one is such an easy fix, though, and it doesn't even require me to break my compact. When the coffee is done brewing, I simply pour it into my already-got-one-so-I-don't-need-to-buy-one coffee carafe. How cool is that? So now I only run the coffee pot for 10 minutes and then that sucker gets turned off! Bonus? The last cup doesn't have that "burnt" taste that requires an extra-heavy helping of sugar and cream.

Savings:

The heating element cycles on and off at whate seems to be 1 minute intervals. When on, it is drawing approximately 900 watts, or .9 kWh. So, one hour per day, every single day equates to 27 kWh a month, 324 kWh per year (which, by the way, is about $32.40 in dollar-savings). HAHA! Paid for the Kill-A-Watt and then some!

Difficulty Level: 1 out of 5

Alread owned the carafe, just blew the dust off it and set it on the counter. Life just doesn't get any easier than that, does it?

No comments: