Thursday, June 21, 2007

Going Green - The first steps


Well, first off, my name is Erin and I'm a long time blog-reader, first time poster. I'm creating this blog to share my "green" adventure with the you and hope that you join me in my quest to reduce, reuse and recycle. I just read Plastic Ocean and an article on The Most Polluted River and they have really made me think about the awful things I am doing to the planet. Believe me, I considered myself rather earth-friendly -- I generally have more recyclables out in my bin than my neighbors, I freecycle my stuff and take donations to the Habitat ReStore, but it's just not enough.



So..... I've started doing some research about plastics, consumer waste, biodegradable products, et al and now my head is swimming. Everything I touch, use, buy, toss makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing (environmentally, of course). Since I can't wrap my brain around all of this at once, I've decided that every day I will make a change in my life that will have a positive impact on the environment. (If you have any tips, send 'em my way!). I'll post about each change (hopefully daily, but I have two kids, ages 2 and 3 1/2 so somedays NOTHING gets done!).

Am I taking the wimpy way out, just doing one thing a day? Well, I'm certainly not taking the giant leap like No Impact Man or EnviroWoman. These people have replaced Batman and Elastigirl as my new heroes. But I think that by doing one thing a day, I'll educate myself and my family and I'll teach my kids a little something about caring for the environment. If we all just reduce our impact a little bit each day, together we can make a big difference.

I hope you'll join me in my daily quest for a greener life here in the suburbs. I don't think I'll be able to grow all my own food or avoid plastics entirely, but maybe... uhoh, one of the kids is up... gotta go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just remember Kermit warned you,
"It's not easy being green".
Hang in there. We have to start some place.

Yodood said...

Congratulations, it is easy learning to take steps that are lighter on the earth. I whole heartedly agree that personal responsibility is the first priority, but I also think it is our responsibility to see that litter campaigns only hide the problem that recycling goes halfway to solving. There must be regulations on the packaging industry for either biodegradable or directly reusable containers if any are needed at all.