Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Sunday Post

On Kids, Comments and Christmas

Yeah, it's a lazy post day, but since it's Sunday, I figure I can get away with it. Things are crazy around here, as I'm sure they are at your house too. So I'm taking a change-a-day break today and instead will just tell you what's going on here.

The kids are both sick. Ethan appears to have inhaled a giant, green mucous monster that continually makes escape attempts from his left nostril. He still can't "blow" so I'm wiping his nose about every three minutes. If I don't get there in time.... well, you just don't want to know.

Daphne has a slightly more serious condition: The Croup. For those of you who aren't familiar with the malady, it's basically a bad cold that makes your child wheeze like a dog chew toy. It is VERY SCARY and she is on steroids and nebulizer treatments. Fortunately, she is responding very well to treatment and should be fine in another day or two.

My heart goes out to any parent who has a child with asthma or other respiratory illness. Watching your child gasp for air while you helplessly rock her is an awful feeling.

As for comments, wow! You guys are rocking my world! But now I feel bad because I haven't been able to answer all of them. Anyhow, so you don't think I'm ignoring all of you....

To Wendy -- thanks so much for reading! I can't believe you went all the way back to the beginning and read everything! I appreciate your comments and wish you luck in your new blog.... please leave a comment here with the link so I can add it to my blogroll :-)

To Green Bean -- You have some of the best Green Mom ideas on the planet -- thanks for sharing them! :-)

To Leslie -- Glad you like my titles :-) Oftentimes, that's the part that gets the most revisions! I am a FREAK for puns (among other things ;-) and more than once I have selected my daily change based on how funny I think the heading will be.

To Mr. G. -- I asked hubby about the dampers (he's a construction project manager) and he said they usually put dampers on the floors downstairs and in the ceilings upstairs due to framing issues. There's just more "free space" in the basement/crawlspace and attic than there is between the two floors. He actually went on with like a thousand reasons about cold air returns, circulation, ambient air, cost-effectiveness, insulation etc., but I zoned out after I heard the first part. Hope this answers your question!

I think that hits most of the comments, if I failed to answer one of yours, I'm sorry :-( . I'm just not very organized these days.

Other goings-on at the house include the six batches of fudge I've made for teachers and neighbors and the four I have yet to make. I won't mention the two "test batches" that I've eaten and the resulting zit outbreak I'm currently experiencing. Aaaahhhh, the holidays.

Hope you're all having a relaxing Sunday. Apparently, I am :-)

4 comments:

Green Bean said...

Thanks for the compliment! :)

I wanted to respond too about the croup - my oldest had it when he was three. We had no idea what it was and ended up calling 911! Yeah, I felt a little foolish later but all those firemen were sure cute. ;-)

As to the fudge, I'm turning to that this weekend and then to Crunchy Chicken's diet in January. ugh!

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to daphne and the croup! I remember having it when I was little and how my mom made a nest in the bathtub for me to sleep in while she turned the on shower (seperate from the bath tub :D)as hot as it would go, so that I could breathe the steam. I slept like that every night for a week!

Good luck!

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sick little ones. As a mom of five, I can relate, and thankfully, we don't have asthma to deal with either, but I have dealt with croup, and it wasn't fun.

I've really enjoyed your blog ... a lot! ... which is why I went back to the beginning to start reading (I needed the background ;), and it looks like you started about the same place we did, when we realized that we needed to make a change. What I love about your blog is that you're making HUGE changes, but just a little at a time, and unlike some other bloggers who have a similar message, yours is both positive and encouraging. It's like "look what I'm doing, and so can you!"

I've been blogging about our changes (albeit not as succinctly as you have :) for a couple of years now. My blog is called Home Is ... and interspersed with my nutty ideas about the environment, politics and our society in general, eating local, and living more sustainably is the commentary on my life as a work-at-home/stay-at-home/homeschooling Mom.

Thank you for the very nice welcome :). I look forward to continuing to follow your progress. You're doing good work, and those of us in suburbia can really take a lesson from all you've accomplished.

Yodood said...

Basically what you are saying is that, in a compromise for convenience, the warm air enters the upstairs rooms in the least efficient place, the ceiling. Good for cold air to sink from though if you have central air. The heat coming up from downstairs probably does more good. Ah well, someone must have meant well before convenience and the bottom line redesigned it.