Thursday, January 10, 2008

#155 - Going Paperless

Canceling The Sunday Paper

The Times, they are a-changin. Or a-cancellin', as the case may be. I got our renewal notice from the good folks at the Richmond Times-Dispatch this week. And since I'm trying to reduce the amount of recyclable waste we generate, I've decided not to renew our Sunday subscription.

Those of you who have been with me since the beginning may recall that change #5 was to cancel my Friday and Saturday paper deliveries. And, thanks to the wonders of the inter-webbies, we can go back and review my thoughts on the subject. They were:

I like reading the Sunday paper. I clip my coupons, read the comics to my son (his favorite is Snoopy) check out "Ask Marilyn" in Parade and peruse the real estate section to see how the housing market is doing. I'm also a big fan of "Dear Abby" and "Miss Manners" and the guy that writes local horticulture articles. I've been a Sunday-paper-reader since I was a kid and I don't think that's going to change.

Yeah, apparently I don't know me very well. That, or during the last six months I've unwittingly purchased a one-way ticket on the bi-polar express. At any rate, I feel like a politician flip-flopping on an issue. Fortunately, also like most politicians, I don't care. Because this change will make a significant dent in the amount of recyclable paper waste we generate.


Savings:

Each Sunday paper weighs about five pounds and is ALWAYS enclosed in a non-recyclable bag -- rain or shine. In one year, that adds up to 260 pounds of paper and 52 plastic bags.


Difficulty Level: 1 out of 5

Easy to let a renewal lapse. And now I'll just start checking cnn.com, the T-D website, and my local television for news. As for Dear Abby.... well, you all have been great giving me advice so maybe I'll start a Dear Readers column of my own. And the Miss Manners thing? Yeah, I've got klass just oozing out my butt cheeks, so I don't think I really need her help anyhow.

3 comments:

Green Bean said...

Isn't it amazing how much you can change in six months. I'm the same way - things I thought I'd never give up six months ago are no big deal now. Green on, girl.

Wendy said...

It is incredible the changes we go through in such a short time. Two years ago I'd have never considered I could live without an electric dryer, and while I still have one, for the most part, it sits idle next to my washer. The clothes are almost always air-dried using the line outside or the indoor drying rack.

As for the paper, we've never subscribed, but we do get this pesky little free paper every week, which we NEVER read. My neighbors tried to get them to stop delivering to them a few years ago, but it still ends up on their driveway. One summer, to make a point, they left it out there, and they had like four mushy, gooey lumps of old paper out there ... still a new one was at the end of their driveway every week. Grr! You'd think the people would get a clue. Just because it's "free" doesn't mean we want it. Understand? Cold germs are "free", too, and I don't want those either!

Anonymous said...

I would find myself frantic trying to keep up with 'reading' the newspaper. Couldn't do it.
And the black printers ink started doing something to me...aside from getting me blackened...it made me feel funky. Nothing really bad, just mildly more disoriented than usual :)
I discovered that it is very difficult to get newspapers to stop delivering papers. They are just sure you are making a big mistake.
Keep pestering them.