Thursday, May 29, 2008

#231 - Hey There, Cupcake

Celebrating Daphne's Birthday in Style - Without the Plastic Clamshell


This is the seventeenth change in my month-long pledge to give up plastics for Crunchy's Extreme Eco-Throwdown.

I can't believe my little girl is going to be 3 next week! My goodness, how the time flies! It seems like just yesterday she was waking me up in the middle of the night, screaming and crying.

Oh wait, that was yesterday. DAMN, that girl is a light sleeper! Maybe I'll get her earplugs for her birthday.

Well one thing I know I'm getting here are Hello Kitty Cupcakes. I know she'll like them because she's been telling me she wants them for about two months now. Anytime you ask here "what do you want for your birthday, sweetie?" the answer invariably comes back "Hello Kiddle-ee Gupgake".

The problem being that I SUCK at baking and I SUPER SUCK at decorating cakes. I do not have a creative bone in my body. After thirty six years of trying, I have finally come to the conclusion that, aside from my offspring, I was simply not meant to create anything with aesthetic value. So I need to have someone else make and decorate the cupcakes. Problem being, that if I call Kroger, they will make the cupcakes and then stick them in those nasty plastic clamshells. You know, for "safe keeping". Because nothing says "food safety" better than non-recyclable, BPA-leeching plastic packaging.

So instead I have called upon a woman in my area who makes wonderful hand crafted treats - Laura at It's the Icing on the Cake. And she's happy to let me pick up my cupcakes without a plastic tray. In fact, she has tupperware cupcake carriers that she rents out! Talk about eco-friendly!

So let's here it for plastic-free, professionally-decorated Hello Kiddle-ee Gupgakes! If only the calories could be removed as easily as the packaging...

5 comments:

hmd said...

What a great idea! I would imagine anyone outside a major chain would be willing to work with you on that kind of stuff. Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Heather Piper said...

ROCK ON, SMALL BUSINESSES! WOOT!

Green Bean said...

What a win-win situation. More and more, I feel that the small, indepdent businesses will be our economy's way out of this mess. Happy birthday to Daphne!

Joyce said...

I hope you show a picture of the cupcakes. They sound adorable! And so is your little girl!

Gypsy said...

What a great option finding reusable cupcake containers like that. Love your blog, I'm really enjoying reading it!