Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 137 - Not the Sharpest Tool In the Shed

Sharpening My Scissors, Instead of Buying New Ones

For those of you who don't know, I work from home, sewing renaissance garb for my sister's online store, The Very Merry Seamstress (shameless commerce plug - feel free to violate your compact and go buy stuff now, please). Anyhow, my busy season for VMS runs from March through October - the prime season for faires, weddings and Halloween parties.

During my slow months, I like to go through all my equipment and make sure I have everything I need and that it's all in good repair. I usually end up buying new scissors at this time, because worn, dull scissors are a seamstress's worst enemy. It's like an accountant having an adding machine with no "7" - not only will it slow you down, but odds are, it'll also make you f' a few things up. And since they're a relatively inexpensive business expense, it's always seemed easier to just buy new.

This year, however, I will be taking my shears over to Hancock Fabric and dropping them off for the guy who comes in and sharpens the scissors. He stops by once a month and sets up shop right in the middle of the store, where he spends the entire day honing and filing cutting tools for the old, the cheap, and the eco-friendly. Oh look -- I fall into all three categories now! :-)


Savings:

One pair of scissors and the packaging and shipping associated with buying new. Oh, and $12 - the cost difference between buying and sharpening.


Difficulty Level: 1 out of 5

I'll have to call the store to find out what day Mr. Sharpie will be there but that's the only additional step required. All in all, another very easy change to make.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Hi, it's me again, reading through your old posts. I just thought I'd let you know that if you cut your scissors a few times into a small piece of aluminum foil (I can't recall if you've completely stopped using this or not), it is very similar to the effects of getting your scissors sharpened.

It's a design trick I picked up in college from one of my TAs and it seems to work on those fun shaped shears as well.