Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pearly Whites

TGIF! Let's do an easy change today. I've got to pack for our weekend camping trip and I want to make sure we all have plenty of time to go check out the very first APLS Carnival post!

What do ya say we switch toothbrushes? Not like, you send me yours and I'll send you mine. That would be gross. I mean let's try to find the most environmentally friendly toothbrush and change brands.

In April I switched from my rechargeable electric toothbrush to a Preserve brand toothbrush. Here's why:

"The Preserve's handle is made of polypropylene. It is an efficiently recycled material--its strength does not break down in the recycling process. Polypropylene's recycling efficiency means it is commonly reprocessed and cleaned... Polypropylene is available in many sources of post-consumer and pre-consumer recycled plastics, labeled #5. Presently our main source is from recycled Stonyfield Farm® yogurt cups... The Preserve's materials are also completely recyclable. The handle and bristles are effectively recycled together--the polypropylene and nylon actually strengthen as they combine in the recycling process. Preserve's postage-paid envelope assures that your used brush will be turned into plastic lumber."

So that's what swayed me. I haven't worn it out yet, so I have not yet gone through the recycling process with Preserve, but you can bet I will be sending it back for recycling when the time comes. What are you using to clean your pearly whites?

6 comments:

Vera said...

We've made the switch and so far so good. Except last time we ordered it didn't have the self addressed stamped envelope it normally comes with so we have a small stockpile of used toothbrushes. LOL.

EnviRambo said...

Speaking of stockpiles of toothbrushes....

I have a stockpile of new toothbrushes a la the dentist. Every time we go there we come home with a plastic bag containing a plastic sample tube of toothpaste, a plastic floss sample and a plastic toothbrush. Each! Family of four with two in braces really starts to add up.

I already have the chitlins saying "no bag please" when they are out shopping. Now we'll need to start doing it at the dentist as well!

Lori said...

Unfortunately my dentist says that my gums are too sensitive to use a standard toothbrush, so I'm sticking with my rechargable brush. Oddly enough, they still offer me the grab bag of toothcare goodies, so once in a while I agree to take that home, then set them out for houseguests.

Anonymous said...

I use Preserve. Can't convince the hubby. "The handle feels funny." No comment.

Robj98168 said...

I have to use one of those newfangled electric toothbrushes or I would join you for the trade- but I don't want this guy's toothbrush

Wendy said...

We've used the Preserve toothbrushes for quite awhile, probably time to send them back.

I've also got a stockpile of old toothbrushes from before we found Preserve. I've got a craft project in the works for those... one day.