Thursday, October 25, 2007

Day 102 - Time for a Change

Getting My Oil Changed When, And Only When, Required

Do you change your oil every three months or 3,000 miles? If you do, you're even more anal than I am. And that's saying a LOT! It's also saying that you're probably changing your oil more than is necessary and wasting resources each time. While having your vehicle in tip-top shape is important to ensure the best possible gas mileage, there is such a thing as too much maintenance.

I am going in tomorrow to get my second oil changed for only the second time this year. Why only twice? (I know what you're thinking -- L A Z Y -- But you'd be wrong! Kind of.) I'm only on my second oil change because my vehicle's manufacturer does not recommend/require an oil change every 3,000 miles. Most cars don't these days.

I have decided that Honda knows more about what its engines can handle than I do and am going to abide by their recommendations for all my maintenance items. I will simply ignore that annoying sticker JiffyLube insists on attaching to my windshield and will instead listen to what Honda tells me. After all, they're not looking to squeeze another $39.95 out of me every quarter.

Savings:

If I followed Jiffy Lube's instructions, I'd be on my fifth oil change. By following my owner's manual instead, I have saved more than 50% of the oil I would otherwise have consumed during that time. Of course, I do still go to Jiffy Lube, since I know they properly dispose of and recycle the oil. They're not entirely evil, afterall.


Difficulty Level: 1 out of 5

Can I start giving some of these negative ratings? Seriously, my car tells me when to get the oil changed, how much easier could it get?

3 comments:

M.e. said...

my jiffy lube recommended I have my air filter changed THREE times and got SNIPPY with me on the third time. I told him I'd change it myself, but then had a battery die or something and asked wal-mart (please don't hate me for the nasty corp.) to take care of the air filter too. I live in the South and so mr. wal-mart countryfied employee came to me and said "Ma'am, we sure woulda changed that air filter if it'd needed doin', but it didn't." - as opposed to the jiffy lube guy who told me "ma'am, really, this air filter needs to go, we can't even see through it anymore" - Um, I was unaware you could SEE through AIR FILTERS! *sigh* I hate untrustworthy car peoples. We had issues with evil transmission man yesterday. End rant;)

Burbanmom said...

M.E. -- I know what you mean, the air filter is always in dire need of a change, according to them. Hubby gave me the lowdown on how to deal with it. Tell them to use the compressor to "blow it out" (ie: clean it) and put it back in. I also lie and tell them that my (hubby, Dad, BIL, whatever) is a mechanic and that I'll have him look at it when I get home. Usually shuts them up... Poor guys must work on some sort of upselling commission structure.

June Cutoff Cash said...

I had no idea you didn't have to change your oil every three months! And I am "overdue" for one. Am gonna get out my VW manual and see what they say. Thank you for this info!!