Monday, October 8, 2007

Day Ninety-Three - Appliance Heaven

Recycling Our Old Washing Machine

If you recall, a couple of months ago our washine machine bit the dust. We replaced it with an uber-efficient LG Front Loader and I tried to Freecycle the old one. This is the first time I have offered something on Freecycle that absolutely no one wanted. I mean, these people gobbled up my used cleaning supplies and old air fresheners, I can't believe no one would want a broken washing machine -- even if it's just to geet some cash for the scrap metal. Oh well. Looks like I'll have to take it to the dump :-( Or do I?.....

Clickety-click-click, enter The Steel Recycling Institute (dun-da-da-DAH!). The Steel Recycling Institute (SRI) is an industry association that promotes and sustains the recycling of all steel products. The SRI educates the solid waste industry, government, business and ultimately the consumer about the benefits of steel's infinite recycling cycle. They rock.

On their site, I was able to access a database of appliance recyclers in my area and found that Gene's Appliances right down the road would be delighted to take my dead washer. I am hoping that they are able to 1. fix it and sell it or 2. harvest its internal parts so that other machines may live. Either way, I will be a happy little camper know that I kept a 150 pound chunk of metal out of the landfill. And I'm sure my washer will be happy to be helping others clean clothing and linens once again.


Savings:

One greatful wachine machine and one eco-conscience.


Difficulty Level: 2 out of 5

Not as easy as Freecyclin', since I'll have to load it and take there (Gene doesn't have a truck) but no more difficult than taking it to the dump or any other disposal facility.

2 comments:

Yodood said...

Great Post. I think more people would jump on the conservation bandwagon if the facilities were more visible. Recycling centers will become the new factories when oil becomes prohibitively expensive.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. We had been googling someway to get rid of our broken washing machine for almost an hour - your site was the only one that offered something other than turning it into a flower pot....