Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Day Eighty-Six - Off To Market

Visit My Local Farmer's Market


OK, I've whined about this for months now and I have no excuses left for not going to the 17th Street Farmer's Market. I didn't want to drag the kids downtown before because, well, from what I see on the local news, downtown is a little on the violent side. But since nothing scary has yet happened at the Market, I've decided it's time for me to just nut up and do it. Besides, I've talked to my neighbor who is a State Police Officer and he has assured me that the market area is totally safe -- especially at 10 am on a Thursday. So, since the kids have preschool that morning, I'm going to head downtown after I drop them off and check out the market.

Of course, visiting my local farmer's market goes hand-in-hand with eating locally. One of my biggest challenges in going green is adhering as closely as possible to the 100-mile diet. As I've said before, the average American dinner travels over 1,500 miles to reach our plates and that uses up lots of fossil fuels. The more I can buy locally, whether it's produce, fish, chicken, or even desserts, the more I am helping the environment. It is a difficult task, and sometimes darn near impossible, but by hitting the farmers market, I will gain access to a greater variety of foods that are produced within the 100 mile radius of my home.

But it's not all about food. There is so much more at the market, including crafts, handmade candles and soaps, jewelry, handcrafted plates... the list goes on and on. I have made an adjustment to my compact, that allows me to purchase locally crafted items, so this will finally be a chance to shop guilt-free! WOOHOO!


Savings:

I don't have a specific estimate, but I'm basically hoping to shave a couple hundred food miles off our weekly menu.


Difficulty Level: 2 out of 5 (Fear Factor)

Just so you all know, I wasn't always a big fat chicken. I used to be brave, but then I had kids and now I worry like a..... well, like a Mom. I'm sure once I get there I'll have a great time :-) The real problem is that the Farmers Market runs from the beginning of May through the end of October, so I only get four trips down there before it closes. But I'll definitely head back there in May!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know I am reading your blog. Been going back thru older posts. This is just the best!

Burbanmom said...

Awww, I'm glad you like it! Feel free to play along at home and let us all know what things work (or don't work) for you! Once I hit Day One Hundred, I'm planning on taking a look back and seeing how much I'm actually saving vs. what I had projected to save. Some things come easy and some things don't!

I've also been playing some catch-up on your blog. Talk about a long, strange trip! I love it!

Yodood said...

I didn't notice any mention of health benefits to local food, probably the prime reason for starting ones own garden, or community garden in your neighborhood. Check out the relationship between allergies and local food, you'll be delighted with the benefits after the shock of what processed and food from a distance fails to do.

Anonymous said...

I believe that locally collected honey contains great allergy innoculators. Possible?

Bill said...

My daughter suffered from allegies when she was 5 (or 6) too long ago to remember. Our old country doc said to give her a small piece of comb honey every few days to chew on. She of course loved it because it was better than candy, and the natural anitbodies from the local plants knocked the allergies right out. No problems since, at least from allergies.