Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Day Ninety-Four - More Like a "Don't"

Keeping the 'Do Short

When I was young I had long, silky blonde hair that hung way down my back in springy curls. Then I got old. And a few pregnancies, a thyroid imbalance and many years later, my hair is dirt brown, frizzy and lifeless. But the good news is: it's short so there's a lot less of it to look at. And a lot less to worry about.

Remember when I talked about shortening up my shower routine? Well yesterday I went and got my hair chopped off and my even shorter 'do will help reduce my shower time even further. Less hair means less shampoo used and less shampoo used means less rinsing. Small change? Yes. But a change nonetheless.


Savings:

My new 'do saved me roughly 45 seconds of showering (hey, when you're down to a six minute shower, that's nearly a 13% reduction!) and saved me about a 1/2 teaspoon of shampoo. Over one year, that's 3.9 hours of showering and 26 ounces of shampoo. That's roughly 1,000 gallons of water saved just by having short hair! Wow, does that make Sinead O'Connor an environmentalist?


Difficulty Level: 2 out of 5

Well, short hair does need to be cut more, so it means a trip to the salon every other month or so. Definitely not a money saver. And I have to ask the stylist to skip the shampoo treatment and just squirt my hair down, so I'm not wasting additional resources for the cut. Other than that, it's pretty low maintenance. Just like me :-)

2 comments:

Brian said...

so, do you just time and quantify everything for your blog, or have you always calculated your shower time, shampoo usage, etc.?

:)

Burbanmom said...

Yeah, I calculate damn near everything I do. So far today, I've spent 5.7 minutes answering emails from my Brother-In-Law who appears to have a little too much free time at work! ;-)