Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day 104 - Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Skipping A Shampoo Twice a Week

In light of this artice I just read about the massive droughts hitting our Australian friends, I have decided to do another water conservation post. It continues to amaze me that few American realize what a luxury it is to have clean, potable water flowing from dozens of taps in our homes. I'm sure we all take it for granted occassionally, but if we don't start slowing our personal consumption, we too could find ourselves in a state of mandatory restrictions (oh wait, we ALREADY ARE!).

Today I pledge to skip two hair washin's a week. Every week. Tuesdays and Thursdays will become my "grease is good" days and I'll forego the normal lather and rinse (never been much of a "repeater" -- just seems so "been there, done that").

It would appear from my post history (hehehe, yeah, that sounds funny) that I am just inching my way towards adding more "To Hell With Personal Hygiene Days" and maybe I am. My brother in law -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN! -- indulges in multiple THWPHDs per week and no one thinks he's gross. Except when he takes them consecutively. Anyhow, I think I might be headed down that path, but first I'm going to see how little water I can consume while still rinsing off the stink.


Savings:

Shampooing takes me approximately 90 seconds from the time I pick up the bottle till I get all the gunk rinsed out. That cuts my shower time down to four minutes! That also saves me approximately 4 gallons per day, twice per week, for a total of 8 gallons per week. In one year, that's a savings of 130 gallons. Just a drop in the bucket, but every drop counts.


Difficulty Level: 1 out of 5

I've said it many times before, but it bears repeating. Going green does not have to be about buying new green gadgets or expensive organic food. The best ways to go green are usually to just STOP. Stop eating so much beef. Stop buying so much crap. Stop traveling so much. Stop using so much water. Just stop. There, you've done something good for the environment just by stopping. And who knows? Maybe once you stop, you'll have a chance to look around and see something beautiful that you might have otherwise missed.

No comments: