Friday, October 26, 2007

Day 103 - Scrub-A-Dub-Dub

Swapping Out the Kids' Babywash

I try to minimize the amount of chemicals my children are exposed to, at least within my own home. I no longer use bleach, harsh cleaning supplies or air fresheners because they contain some pretty nasty polypetrowhatnots. However, week after week, I continue to rub them down with such beauties as sodium trideceth sulfate, acrylates copolymer, polyquaternium-7, sodium benzoate and styrene/acrylates copolymer. Nothing like that clean baby smell, eh?

Starting this week, we are switching from Johnson & Johnson brand babywash to Burt's Bees wash. The ingredients are derived from natural sources, they do not test their products on animals and their bottle is made from 80% post-consumer content. Plus I gotta love an eco-friendly company that make going green easy on my brain and my pocketbook.


Savings:

We go through roughly six ounces of babywash every month, so a year's worth of J&J would be 72 ounces, or a little over a half gallon of stuff fish probably shouldn't be drinking.


Difficulty Level: 1 out of 5

Once again, I do have to post my beef with the fact that Kroger's doesn't put Burt's Bees babywash in the baby aisle with all the other washes. It has its own little ("little" being the operative word) display case hidden over by the pharmacy and the "crunchy granola" aisles. Is that really necessary? Wouldn't more people be likely to switch if the option were literally right in front of their noses?

5 comments:

M.e. said...

you said you'd switched to BB shampoo for yourself, too, right? I wish my hair'd liked it. We had a disagreement. I thought it smelled lovely and I love BB, so I was excited, but then my hair started to feel like plastic, and then hay, and I gave up;)

Jennifer said...

Sadly, BB will never make it to the baby isle because the Big Guys pay big for the privilege. At least Krogers carries it at all.

Anonymous said...

Here is a marvelous opportunity for a proactive letter/email/phone call to the grocery store. Call them and tell them you LOVE BB, and that you are so excited that they carry it, and ask if they are intending to expand the line, etc. You can ask them to provide more shelf space, but what Jennifer says is correct. The big guys pay big bucks. I bet BB had to beg to get the space they did.
Just let your store know.
The squeaky wheel gets the oil...er...the squeaky clean baby gets the Burt's Bee's.

M.e. said...

oh no oh no!!! Burt's bees is selling out (again!): http://community.livejournal.com/naturalliving/3620821.html

Jenelle said...

A great alternative to BB is Dr. Bonner soaps. They are great!

http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm

Jenelle