Friday, February 1, 2008

Bad Idea #5 - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Switching from Degree to Natural Deodarant

I'm a hot mama. Not so much in a "MILF" kind of way, but definitely in a "something is wrong with my internal thermostat and so I sweat like a pig" kind of way. But the word "hot" is still an appropriate adjective, so I'm going to continue to use it when describing myself to strangers. It's not my fault if they misinterpret.

Anyhow, I've heard a lot of rumors about how awful the mainstream antipersperant/deodarants are for you. I've heard that women, especially, are prone to horrible maladies related to the wearing of these deodarants, due to the fact that we shave our underarms, allowing more of the chemicals to come in direct contact with our skin. Is any of this true? I dunno. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to cut out some more chemicals on my quest towards a greener lifestyle.

Turns out, this is another threshold I just can't seem to cross. It's not so much the deodarant part that I disliked, it's the antiperspirant I desperately missed. That awful feeling of soggy armpits, the nice tell-tale wet marks on my shirts. The only word I can think of to describe it is: YUCK! or maybe DOUBLE YUCK!

And so, with head hung low, (to sniff-test my pits), I hereby concede defeat to the Gods of Mass Marketed Hygeine Products. You have won this battle. I will continue to wage the war though. And, hopefully, will come out smelling like a rose.

4 comments:

crabbydad said...

Yes, but have you met Queen Helene?
http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/55640/S/10000
Woman. Warrior. Queen... of your armpits.

Our Lovely Life said...

I know what you mean about the more natural deoderants. I have tried a couple of different types and none seem to work for me! I just feel like I stink all day long! So I switched back to the bad stuff until I can find something that actually works!

Anonymous said...

haha! I can totally relate! I never knew how well my "Secret" deodorant worked until I ran out and could only find a stick of all natural stuff! I'm still tempted to try that deodorant crystal though...

Vera said...

LOL...right now I am using Herbal Clear and honestly I spend half the time sniffing myself like that deodorant commercial like they are trying to play off like they're doing something else (like dancing)...and I don't think it's working for me. I also have a Tom's of Maine to try, but thankfully right now it is winter.